Week 5, Day 1 of the C25k program - that's where I'm at right now in the journey to my first 1/2 marathon. I look at this and think "wow, I can't believe I'm this far", but when I have days like yesterday it makes me frustrated and thinking "what on earth am I trying to do here"?!
Ryan and I went out running yesterday and it felt like it was SO hard! I seriously thought I was back at Day 1 again and I'm not sure why. Just last week I thought I was on top of the world with how good I felt and this week seems to be a whole other story.
I'm not sure why yesterday was so hard, but man I was struggling. Struggling. Like I felt like I just wanted to stop running and walk and I will admit I kind of took a few strides where I half walked and ran. I was so embarressed when we got home and for the rest of the day I didn't want to do anything because of this huge setback.
Maybe I need to start evaluating what I'm eating. I am currently trying to lose this baby weight at the same time so I'm trying to cut my calories, but maybe I'm just not eating the right type of foods?! Not sure what is supposed to fuel a runner other than carbs, but I just don't think I'm choosing the right foods even though at times I think I am. I admit, I had a few beers on Saturday throughout the day, maybe this is why? I'm not a big drinker by any means, I mean, someone has to be responsible for the kid right? ;0) So I maybe only have 2 or 3 over a day so I just didn't think this could really affect my run...maybe it does?
Any runners out there have some tips for me in what I'm doing wrong here? I'm halfway done with this program, I don't want to feel defeated and give up.
5 comments:
Some days are just going to be hard days. I STILL have days where running a mile seems like the hardest thing ever, even though I've run 13 straight. Make sure you are always hydrated (I drink 72+ ounces of water a day, or 3 Camelbaks worth). The food I eat does make a big difference. I don't need a ton of carbs or anything, but nutritious food, not empty calories.
Don't let one bad day kill your mojo. If it were easy everyone would be doing it :o). Cut yourself a little slack!
Thank you Ashley for the words of encouragement :) It's a rough journey, but so fulfilling! Thanks for the pick me up
dude, i've read that weight loss is 80% diet & only 20% exercise. totally revisit what you're eating if you're not seeing results! good luck :)
I second Ashley. The last two runs of 2011 were 6.5 miles and 7.7 miles. Yet today I was running Week 4 Day 3 on C25K... trying to come slowly back into this. I felt like garbage! The entire running sections- I was literally counting down. Yet I know it works and I know there will be other days that feel better.
Also- I was just talking to my friend this morning about how food plays into how I feel during runs. I have not been eating right this last two weeks and honestly- I see a huge difference in how I felt today versus how I felt running two weeks ago!! Keep it up!!
I can totally relate to this feeling! Like the other girls said, there are some days I feel like I could run forever, and others that I just can't. For me, like Ashley mentioned, I need to drink more water I think. I am REALLY bad at remembering to drink water and I drink a lot of coffee, which dehydrates and undoes any water I do drink. I notice that makes a big difference for me! Keep on working though, it is worth pushing through!
Post a Comment